Monday, February 22, 2010

Garage Heating and Car Work

A very valuable lesson was learned tonight.  I have a 900 sq. ft. or so garage heated with a propane heater.  I am in the middle of replacing the Ranger brakes, a process that I started yesterday and had to leave the Ranger up on jack stands because I got the wrong size rear shoes, but that's another story.  I had started coughing pretty bad a few times last night, and didn't really think much of it since it's really cold.  Tonight it got bad again, and I realized that it was right after I was spraying brake cleaner.  I then made the connection between brake cleaner and a propane heater - probably not the best combination.  So to all you guys that work on your cars in the winter with a heated garage - watch what chemicals you're spraying!  If you have to use brake cleaner (i.e. if you're doing a brake job), try de-chlorinated brake cleaner - it may help a little.  A carbon monoxide detector probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

From a forum about using brake cleaner... "
I know not to have the propane heater going, you'll end up with the worst hangover in the morning."  Sweet...

No comments:

Post a Comment